The position of sea captain is one that has endured for centuries, bringing with it the unmistakable thrill of adventure, heroics, and history. Although today’s yacht captains tend to sail calmer, more familiar waters, you will still need a formidable set of qualifications and skills to win the title of “captain.” As a 21st century captain working on a yacht, you will be expected to manage not only the boat, but also finances, regulatory compliance, and many technical aspects – while also being a charming host.
Assuming that you’re already working your way up the yacht jobs ladder, there are some important steps you can take to ensure that your career keeps moving forward:
SEAZONE’s 6 secrets to quickly developing your yacht captain career:
1. Become a master of all trades. As someone who aspires to captain the biggest and best yachts, you need to embrace the modern captain role in its entirety. That means brushing up on your navigation and boat handling skills, but also improving your knowledge of finance and technical systems, and working to become a well-loved host. The “salty sea dog” persona won’t get you very far today – think of yourself more as the manager of a boutique hotel that just happens to float.
2. Find the right yacht crew. Although you should know how to do everything yourself, you won’t actually have to – as long as you have a capable crew you can trust. Hire a crew whose competency and professionalism will reflect well on you, while also making your life easier. The best way to do this is by using a platform like CREWZONE by SEAZONE. Here you can access crew resumes online and use various filters, including live geolocation, to ensure you’re looking at only the most relevant candidates for various yacht jobs.
3. Keep the right yacht crew. Once you’ve found a great team of people, it pays to keep them, even if it means increased salaries. You’ll save much more than you spend by avoiding learning curves, inter-team friction, and more. How do you make sure they stick around? By remembering that they are your team to motivate, nurture, and manage responsibly while working on a yacht.
4. Improve your skills and certifications. As you move up to larger and more prestigious yachts, there are many must-have certifications. But it’s your added value that will make the difference, both in getting hired and in the salary you command. That can include learning new languages, gaining project management certification, and being familiar with the latest yacht technologies.
5. Let technology do the hard work. How can anyone handle boat operations, finance, administration, and crew management AND be able to entertain guests throughout a voyage? The answer is that you can streamline all your activities by using SEAZONE. SEAZONE delivers a comprehensive yacht management solution that makes it simple to manage documentation, track finances, and improve communication with the boat owner. All of which frees you up to entertain guests with complete peace of mind.
6. Develop strong relationships. Creating positive relationships is a must for working on a yacht in any position, but especially for the yacht captain. Take the time to nurture your connections with brokers, yacht managers, maritime professionals, and of course your crew members. The more professional, fair, and transparent your conduct, the better your chances of gaining an excellent reputation, as well as crucial recommendations. These values – transparency, professionalism, and efficiency – are also the cornerstones of the SEAZONE platform, which aims to represent the future of the yachting world.
Start your SEAZONE experience now to discover the powerful, versatile management platform that can drive your yacht captain career forward.